Oh for the love of tater tots
Saturday’s great bike ride led into a fairly lazy Sunday with a lot of housework, chores and one extra long walk with the dogs. The weather called for rain on Monday but instead, it just stayed cloudy and threatening all day long. I chose to stay in and let Jillian Micheals have a turn at making me hurt. It almost worked. It pains me to say that “nice” Bob gives me noodle limbs. Big time. It was a decent workout for 40 minutes of interval work, but it didn’t leave me heaving.
Tuesday: general warm up followed by active warm up: Superset: single leg presses 3 x 8 (2x90lb, 1x105lb) and good mornings with 45lb bar
- box jumps x 20 x 18″ box
- knee tucks x 25
- burpee with push up x 15
- jump rope x 100
- plate push x 30 yds x 35lb for first 2 and 45lb for last 2
- CORE! with 10lb plates, toe touches, single leg V ups, suitcases, flutter kicks, etc
Wednesday= strength day: general warm up followed by CORE! see above.
- barbell standing military press 4 x 8 x 55lb
- superset: lat pulldown 3 x 8 x 70,80,90lb and dumbell pullovers 3 x 8 x 25lb
- curl to press 3 x 10 x 15lb
- superset: overhead dumbell extension 3 x 12 x 25lb and incline curls 3 x 10 x 15lb
- box walk 2 x 5: 6, 12, 18 and 24 inch boxes x 5 pushups on each one plus a set on the floor done first with hands on the box starting at the 24″ working down then feet on the boxes working back up. ouch.
I wanted to get some cardio in, plus I can’t seem to control myself around food lately, so in the afternoon I ran/walked for 30 minutes on the treadmill with hill intervals and then walked the dogs later in the evening for another mile.
Thursday: 27F at 5:45 in the morning so it was a perfect day to run outside. After the “general” warm up, we used the plyo spring board for jumping drills for a few minutes then did a nice warming CORE series before going outside for:
- 12 x 200m laps alternating running forward and backward with a few callouts like “stop and give me 15 push ups” “8 burpees” “15 jumping jacks” you get the picture.
Friday: the usual warm up then one strength move:4 x 8-10 rep bench press, started at 65 x 10, 75 x 10, 85 x 10, 85 x 8
We did a version of the crossfit Filthy Fifty, 50 of each exercise, as little break as possible completing all 50 of one before moving on to the next
- body squats
- box jumps
- floor wipers
- push press
- mountain climbers
- inverted row
Shortcuts. I find myself staring at a number on the scale that I haven’t seen in the past 12 months. I am not going to complain, my diet has been for crap. And when I say “diet” I mean things like the Southwest burger I ate today that had pepper jack cheese, chipotle mayo, oil soaked peppers and onions, a fried onion ring and guacomole that I am SURE was not pure fresh avocado. On ciabatta. With tater tots. And a giant diet soda. I know that there is absolutely no exercise regimen that can counteract a terrible diet. But I love food. I love good food, I love junk food and I love wine and chocolate, sometimes even at the same time. The question is, do I love it so much that I am willing to cancel out many of the good effects of my workouts by continuing to indulge? For now the answer is more yes than no. We’ll see if that changes soon. I think it will.